GDAP GameOn 2019
GDAP’s Game On Challenge started as a category at the industry awards night in 2011. The original concept is to encourage students and schools to start developing games and look to becoming future game developers. Through the years GDAP has expanded the category to become a stand-alone award brand that will embody the best of Filipino talent. Starting 2016, GDAP consolidated the student awards and industry awards under “Game On!”.
This initiative aims to promote the spirit of game development and creation among the youth, hobbyist and professionals alike, in addition the event also ensures the continuous creation of ideas and developers that will liven the local ecosystem to work and grow.
GAME ON 2020 TRACKS:
- School – these are student projects submitted to schools for credit (capstone / thesis, game project, etc.) [up to 8 maximum members]
- Professionals – these are projects developed by studios or professional teams or teams formed by students from different schools.
Note: Similar categories per track and all game projects mainly developed in the Philippines.
MECHANICS AND DETAILS:
- Game must have been developed between September 30, 2019 and August 30, 2020.
- Teams must indicate a “point-person” for coordination purposes with GDAP.
- All participating schools must declare any third-party software, royalty-free music, sounds or assets purchased or downloaded and used when creating the game. They must ensure there are no legal disputes.
- Registration and submission will be done online
- Note: GDAP will not be hosting any files but will be requiring participating students to give the URL of their entries.
- Entries entered in other competitions or game jams can be submitted as long as it was developed under the time period (September 30, 2019 – August 30, 2020 for schools. Aug 30, 2019 – Aug 30, 2020 for professionals).
- Submission of entries will be on or before August 30, 2020 (until 11:59pm) through here.
- There will be a total of 20 teams shortlisted with 10 for each track.
- Top 20 shortlisted games (including Professionals / School) will be announced through here and will have a table at the Game Festival in ESGS 2020.
- Required files/info for submission: (non-submission or lack off will result to disqualification)
- Fill up the Form (School: https://forms.gle/o1SK9XJmZtbcUBjc8, Professional to follow)
- Required max 30 second game play video.
- Executable File or APK, Web URL, etc. (please provide 5 redeem codes if it’s paid game)
- Installation Instructions
- Judging for Game On! Will be done during the Game Festival on October 2020. The names of the Game On judges will be posted in the website and Facebook group by then. If the Judge could not try the game during the event, he will automatically mark the team for 0 points.
- ICT Creative Awards will be held on November or December 2020(TBD) where the category nominees will be invited and winners in Game On will be awarded.
GAME CATEGORIES (PER TRACK)
|Mobile / Handheld
|Games that promote a brand or product.|
|Desktop / Console
|Games implemented on the desktop or console platform.|
|AR / VR / MR
|Games implemented using AR/VR/MR.|
|AdverGame / Advertising Game||Games that promotes a brand or product.|
|Edutainment / Educational Game||The use of game technology in teaching and/or learning.|
|Games with a social cause.|
|Innovation Award||The use of new technologies or techniques in game development.|
|Gameplay||The best implementation of game play and mechanics in a video game. Making the game to be engaging and fun.|
|Game Art||Recognizing excellence in the visual art of a game, including design, art direction, modeling, etc.|
|Music and Sound Design||Recognizes originally created music and sound implemented in a game project (game must be running).|
|Narrative / Story||Recognizes a game that incorporates the best narrative or most original and engaging storyline.|
|Special Categories / Awards:|
|Game of the Year
|The embodiment of what is best about originally created Filipino games (1 per track).|
|Any generic tools or plug-in that is created to help other game developers.|
|Public’s Choice||On site voting where attendees to the Festival can drop tokens to determine what they believe is the best entry to “Game On!” (only 1 winner out of all the games).|
|Trophy of Honor
|These are games (that are not entries to Game On) and / or individuals and / or groups that the local industry would like to “honor” for placing the country in the global map of game development and / or contributing to its overall maturity and growth.|
DEADLINE OF SUBMISSION GAME ON!
Here are the important dates to remember for the Game On!
|September 30, 2019 to August 30, 2020||Allowed Period of Development|
|August 30, 2020||Deadline for Online Registration and Submission|
|September, 2020||Pre-Judging Period|
|October 10, 2020||Release of the shortlisted games|
|October, 20209(TBA)||Ingress to Game On and Game Festival|
|October, 2020(TBA)||Game On! Showcase and Judging at Game Festival in ESGS SMX MOA|
|November , 2020(TBA)||Release of Category Nominees|
|TBA||ICT Creative Awards Night|